Nico Hulkenberg will enjoy an outing with Arrow McLaren SP at IndyCar's upcoming driver evaluation test day scheduled at Barber Motorsports Park on October 25.
The 34-year-old German driver, who hasn't raced full-time in Formula 1 since 2019, is Aston Martin F1's current reserve. But Hulkenberg admitted last month that the door was quietly shutting on his career in F1.
Both Pato O'Ward and Felix Rosenqvist are contracted to Arrow McLaren SP for 2022, which implies that Hulkenberg's test has been set up for evaluation purposes only.
However, McLaren Racing boss Zak Brown hasn't ruled out AMSP fielding a third entry in the NTT IndyCar Championship at some point in 2022 and almost certainly in 2023.
"Once we get going on a third car, whenever that is, which won’t be the start of the year, we’ll then run a third car [full-time]. We’re not going to be in and out: once we go, we’re going," said Brown last month at Laguna Seca.
"For sure, we’ll run a third car in 2023, maybe we’ll get that out at some point in ’22."
"I am pleased to try out an Indy car and see what it’s all about," said the Hulk. "I want to thank Arrow McLaren SP and Chevy for the opportunity at relatively short notice.
"While I don’t have any current plans to race in IndyCar, it will be great to drive a car for the first time and get a feel for the series."
Taylor Kiel, President, Arrow McLaren SP said: "We’re looking forward to welcoming Nico and giving him his first taste of IndyCar in an Arrow McLaren SP Chevrolet.
"Barber will be a great track for him to get his first laps and gain some miles in a new form of open-wheel racing."
According to Motorsport.com, next week's IndyCar test at Barber will also feature FIA Formula 3 race-winner Logan Sargent, with the 20-year-old American running in the test with AJ Foyt Racing.
Ed Carpenter Racing, Dale Coyne Racing and Andretti Autosport are also expected to field cars in the October 25 test in Alabama.