Bigger F1 calendar only valid if revenue increase - Steiner

© XPB 

Haas team principal Guenther Steiner says further expanding the Formula One calendar only makes sense if it leads to an increase in revenue.

This year’s schedule has a record 21 dates with the 2017 programme featuring the same venues though the Canadian, German, and Brazilian Grands Prix remain subject to confirmation.

New F1 owners Liberty Media have already hinted at having more races on a calendar that could grow up to 25 events. Several teams have voiced their concerns over an ever-increasing programme taking its toll on their staff.

“How much do we grow the business income by adding races?” Steiner said. “If we just give ourselves more work then why do we do that? It’s better to reduce the work and bring the quality up. Bring the quantity down and bring the quality up.

“It’s a fine line there and I’m not an expert in promoting races so I wouldn’t know where that line is but on an operational side, 21 races for a team like us we are at the limit.

“The flyaways in Asia you are away for a long time. People think we are just here from Thursday to Sunday but there’s people out on Sunday or even Saturday to start the set-up and even stay until Monday until everything is done.”

Despite his reservations over having a bigger calendar, Steiner believes it can be justified.

“For me it can bring revenue that justifies it and we can sell more products, but we need to back it up. If we’re just doing it for the sake of doing it, if we just have more work and the same income, why would you do it?”

Silbermann investigates the potential EU threat to F1's Liberty Media deal

2017 F1 driver line-ups so far

TECHNICAL ANALYSIS: Suzuka

Scene at the 2016 Japanese Grand Prix

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter