FIA race director Michael Masi says a thorough investigation into Romain Grosjean's crash at the start of the Bahrain GP is already underway.
Grosjean's horrendous accident on the opening lap of Sunday's race has raised questions about the ability of the Haas' survivor cell to split the barriers upon impact and why a massive blaze ensued.
The French driver was miraculously able to extract himself unaided from the wreck and put himself out of harm's way with the help of F1 medical delegate, Dr. Ian Roberts.
"It certainly was a tough situation," said Masi who visited the crash site in the aftermate of the dramatic incident.
"It’s never something we like to see, a big incident, particularly one involving fire. But I’m glad more than anything that Romain is OK. He’s in hospital under observation and we wish him a very speedy recovery."
F1 boss Ross Brawn said the crash warranted a "deep investigation", and Masi confirmed on Sunday evening that a probe had already been initiated.
"As part of every incident that occurs, the FIA undertakes a full investigation," Masi explained.
"So during the race, a lot of our teams started collating all of the data that was available, including video cameras with any angle that was possibly available.
"Our technical teams have already started taking a whole lot of photographs and understanding the car as it was returned back to the team.
"Then there will be a complete overall analysis done of everything, in very fine detail, to see what we can learn from it.
"Safety is ever evolving, ever improving. You can learn from everything."