FIA race director Michael Masi insists British Grand Prix stewards were not given specific orders to be more lenient on drivers' actions at Silverstone.
Two weeks after the Austrian Grand Prix in which Max Verstappen's move for the lead on Charles Leclerc came under the scrutiny of the stewards, the judges gave a free rein to drivers to race each other hard in the British Grand Prix.
From a brilliant wheel-to-wheel dice in the early stages of the event between Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas to a fierce battle opposing once again Verstappen and Leclerc, the races judges saw no need to intervene.
Mercedes boss Toto Wolff was impressed with the competitive spirit reflected on the track although he labeled the battle among Mercedes' challengers as "borderline dirty".
"The ‘let them race’ philosophy’s been adopted all year, to be quite honest," said masi, speaking to RaceFans.net.
"I think the nature of the circuit, the way that it was, yes there was some wheel-to-wheel action but the same as it was previously and it’s been judged in exactly the same manner.
"The nature of the way this venue is probably makes it a perceived view that it’s more of ‘let them race’ but it’s been adopted and applied in exactly the same way that it has been all year.
"What is ‘let them race’, what does it look like? [In] a lot of ways it was practical examples have shown what is and isn’t considered acceptable. I think it’s just one of those [things] that’s ongoing."
Masi, who replaced Charlie Whiting as F1's race director in Melbourne following the latter's untimely passing, also told the media at Silverstone that he would fulfill his role at least until the end of the year.
"Following a meeting with the president Jean Todt on Saturday, he’s advised me and the FIA team that I will be continuing in the role until the end of the 2019 season," said the Australian.